Friday, January 24, 2014

A bit of neophobia

I have to admit that when it comes to new things I always become some kinda nervous. Yesterday I received the contract from the company I start working at in April, and as much as I'm looking forward to it, I keep wondering: what if I won't get along with everyone? What if I won't be good enough at my job?

Try to reach for the stars: new things are new challenges which allow you to become greater than you already are.
pic by Ian Carroll

I loved my time at college and I also love new things, coz I think life just has to go on. When everything stays the same it gets boring after a while. I need this job. I liked the guys I had the interview with, they were nice and kind, we even laughed at bit and the job seems to be pretty interesting. It's a new challenge that I am willing to accept and I can finally use what I learned - and earn some money again which I really need after college!

Pursue your goal!
pic by Wonderlane
I was talking to a friend about it. He said it's normal that new situations kinda frighten at first, but that is a good sign, like it means I care. But when I would let this anxiety keep me from doing anything because it lets me worry: what if I do anything wrong?, and so I stayed at home, then I could really ask myself if that wasn't the wrong thing to do. It's true that at the end you only regret the things you didn't do. He told me he once was in love with a girl but could never tell her. One day she had a boyfriend, they married and he kept wondering what if he told her about his love for her.

He said, when I don't try something I will never reach something. Everyone is allowed to make mistakes, they let us grow and let us learn from them. When I'd fall I only have to get up again. But if I wasn't trying I would always ask myself "what if?". So, only when I do it, I will know if it works or not. Not working isn't bad. Then I'd learned that I don't want it or it's not the right thing for me.

I know I am not a robot. I am not perfect. And that is not what I wanna be. A new job is a new chapter of my life, and I do look forward to it. I will do what I learned in college. It's not that I do things I have no idea about. After the interview I just felt that it's the right job, I can't explain it, maybe it's the so called "woman's intuition". There might be problems, but they are just waiting for me to solve them. Like I mentioned: if nothing changes and nothing ever happens, life will become quite boring. I am curious, and I let this curiosity be stronger than my fear of new things!

How do you think about it? Are you also worried when it comes to new things? And how do you handle such situations?

No comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...