Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Veneration of the deceased

Have you ever thought about burning your money? Your iPad or even your car? Well, in China people do that. They buy all these stuff to burm them. You don't believe that? You think they are crazy because who would buy something to burn it afterwards? And who would even burn money?

iPad and iPod mode of paper, picture taken from http://www.eogn.com/
Well, all that stuff is made of paper. The Chinese buy things for their beloved ones who recently passed away. They buy what they think the deceased would need in their afterlife. So they go to special stores and buy there cars, chairs, any kind of devices, whatever they like, but all made of paper, and burn it all at the funeral. The Chinese believe that otherwise the ghosts of the deceased would come to them in their dreams and ask for stuff to enjoy their afterlife.

I think though it's a bit sad to burn this awesome and really well-made things, which look totally real. I also think that it's a nice touch and a good thing. I mean, the Chinese think that life still continues in some way and want to help their beloved ones who left this world to enjoy their afterlife. But in my mind it's more for the bereaved people. I guess this helps them to believe that the deceased are still happy and have everything they need.

What do you think about that way to honor the deceased?

5 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sanny - if that's their culture .. then I certainly have no problem ... with my cabbage fingers and thumbs I certainly couldn't make things out of paper .. so it's a good thing I'm English and can remember in other ways ..

Cheers Hilary

Friko said...

I think we don’t do enough to honour our dead, we hardly even mourn them properly. So sending things to them in the afterlife is a lovely idea.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

This post was very educational for me - I didn't know this!!

Unknown said...

I had no idea that they do this so thanks for sharing that. I find it strange but try not to be judgmental about other people customs. My husbands brother just passed away and my husband and I decided instead of going in on flowers with his sisters, that we would give a donation in his name to a charity. We think that the money will do more good in that way. His sisters were really angry but it is our money and we feel we can spend it how we wish just like they are entitled to spend theirs on flowers and we did not insult them for it.

Unknown said...

@Krystal: It's on you what you do with your money and I think it's very kind donating it instead of buying flowers. Charity is always a good thing, I mean what should be wrong helping someone who has less than we have? I guess your husband's brother would have loved this nice touch.
Thanks for sharing this, Krystal.

@Hilary, Friko and Keith: Thanks for your comments.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...