Friday, October 5, 2012

The tutu project

This blog post is a part of the I follow my heart project

Yesterday I saw something on TV which really caught my eye and touched my heart. And after watching it, I thought: this could be the first contribution to my charity project I Follow my Heart, about what people do to help others. That it's not only about the money. There are many ways people come into our lives and change it in a good way. And writing about these people who spend time and do something really impressive, is just a great thing and worth to share it.

I don't know if you have already heard of the Tutu Project. I haven't since yesterday. It's about the New York photographer Bob Carey who takes pictures of himself wearing nothing but a tutu. And the reason is his wife who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003. So he takes pictures to cheer her up, to give her hope to beat it.

A commercial assignment for Ballet Arizona inspired him to do this. He started to think about beginning a series of pictures with him in the tutu. When Carey and his wife moved to New York, she was diagnosed and he dedicated the series to her. He wants to give her hope, a reason to laugh and still have some joy when everything seems so dark. I guess it cheers him up, too. I mean what can be better than seeing your beloved smiling?

This is such a good idea, so touching. Photos are not just pictures, some do even tell a story. A good picture doesn't need words to be understood all over the world. Because it can say more than any word could. That's why I can't find any word that could perfectly describe what I feel about this. There's gonna be a self-published photobook called Ballerina which is dedicated to all women who fight against breast cancer, and their relatives. All the net proceeds from the book will go to breast cancer organizations like CancerCare.org.

If you want to know more about this wonderful project and also see more pictures, please go to The Tutu Project.


Picture and information for this blog post taken from Wired


If you have an idea or want to write a guest post on my blog about someone who inspires you or someone who does something great and inspiring to help others, please contact me.

8 comments:

JJ said...

that must take some gut! but good on him.
charity work is great but from my experience, i find many do it for many other reasons. it doesnt seem right sometimes.

thanks for visiting :)

Unknown said...

I know quite well what you mean, Jaya. Many do it because they want to earn lots of money. But in my mind charity has to come from the heart. It's a good thing to help other people, but help doesn't only depend on money.
When it really comes from the heart, and the donated money goes directly to the people who deserves it, it's a very good thing. And I do believe that such warm-hearted and caring people still exist. Bob Carey is the proof.

Thanks for your comment.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

What a wonderful project! I bet he is cheering up not just his wife but others, too, who need a smile and a warm thought.

Thank you for sharing this! I didn't know about it before.

Friko said...

Brrrr, is he dancing in the snow?

I have never seen a man less suitable for a tut than him, which makes his project all the more endearing.

Sanny, (short for Susanne?) you'll have seen that I am following you too and I hope we will find much to enjoy in each other's blogs.

Thank you for reminding me of Tag der Deutschen Einheit.

Unknown said...

@Tina: I like it, too, and I agree with you. He really cheers up everyone.

@Friko: Yes, he is dancing in the snow and you're right: no one would think about someone like him wearing a tutu. It's a really sweet and kind idea.
Sanny is short for Sandra.
Thank you for following back and your comment ;)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sanny .. I can quite easily see the happiness that this heart-project would have inspired .. very sad, but fun. Did she survive?

My blogging helped me and helped me have ideas for discussion with my mother - severely stroked, but able to communicate ... and also with my uncle - who loved the different take on life, but yet was educative and informative ..

Blogging can help a child, who loves to write ... or for that matter an adult, or older person - it can connect so many and create inspiration along the way ...

Cheers Hilary

Anonymous said...

Good post! This is the kind of information that should be distributed on the online community. I would like to read more of this.

Unknown said...

@Hilary: she still lives, yes.
Blogging is really a great thing. Let's continue, share what's on our minds. It can really help a lot.

Thanks for leaving a comment.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...